Around the web today for stories of interest to future missionaries, missionary moms, returned missionaries, member missionaries, and missionaries of every sort and variety.
- Corbett Smith “Athletes find reward, risk in Latter Day Saints missions”– How does serving a mission affect LDS athletes college recruitment? “Athletes who serve as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) during their college careers must be willing not only to give up the limelight of collegiate athletics but also to jeopardize their own size, strength and skill. They also must be selective in finding schools willing to honor the scholarship offer upon return and patiently wait as they return to fitness.”
- Tetona Dunlap “Twin Falls Mission Office Provides Local Support for Missionaries”– How can newly remodeled mission offices affect the quality of missionary work going on there? “‘By keeping our wards small like our missions, everyone has a reason to be there and grow,’ Curtis said. The Twin Falls headquarters is spacious. The circa 1952 building has second-floor classrooms that had been under-utilized. Curtis said most new headquarters are compact and don’t have second floors.”
- Laura Keeley “Jabari Parker’s choice: Duke, NBA or a Mormon mission?”– Speaking of LDS athletes deciding on missions, this is the most insightful article I’ve read yet on the important decision awaiting Jabari Parker at the end of the season. “Parker’s mother, Lola, said it will be up to him to decide, and his family will support his decision. ‘We’ve raised our children to make choices but also have integrity,’ she said.”
- Grant Kenning “Howdy Y’all“ – Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be the one who has to gently separate missionaries from their parents as they begin their work at the MTC, read the last paragraph to find out this Elder’s experience. “Oh, Wednesday I was able to be a ‘host’ missionary! Which is when I stand at the curb waiting for families to come and drop off their new missionaries! It was pretty cool”
- LDS.org “Meaningful Scripture Study”– [Video] One of the most important ways to prepare for a mission is through scripture study. Elder Dalin H. Oaks sits down to explain how to get the most out of your scripture study. “Asking questions that help them see how the scriptures can impact their life is critical. Sometimes the scriptures are up here, and their life, what their doing at home, their experience are not connecting.”